300 6 in a Maverick?

Discussion in 'Parts Interchange' started by roadrage, May 27, 2005.

1. roadrage

roadrage Roadrage

Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Cougar
    hi folks,
    been a while since i posted here. i sold my maverick to yellow maverick, and yall know he's like a kid with his favorite toy.
    i loved my maverick, but the car is now being totally smothered with love, effection, and $$$.

anyhow..
    i still yearn for another maverick. dont know when it'll be.. but i was wondering how difficult it'd be to fit the 300 truck motor in one?

reason for this?
    its the current motor in my truck. id rather my truck had a V8, and i was thinking a hopped-up, fuel infected 300 I6 would be really neat powerplant for a maverick.
    (dont know what V8 the truck deserves just yet)

havent heard of it or ever seen it done.

what do yall know?

roadrage
    (maverickless, but scheming)

2. maverick1970

maverick1970 MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    69 1/2, 70 Maverick and 71 Grabber
    There was a car at the Roundup last year with a 300-6 in it. Don't know the owner, I am sure someone on the forum will know who owns it.

3. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    The 300 is a standard 302/351w bell housing pattern, so you shouldn't have a problem there. I've never measured the 2 300's I have laying around but I bet they are a little longer then a car I6 engine. I wouldn't think it would be to hard other then fabricateing some motor mounts.

There's tons of aftermarket support for them. Cams, intakes, headers, you name it.

4. Yellow72Mavrick

Yellow72Mavrick Banned

Vehicle:
    1977 maverick 2 door ( my sons) 250 c4

Whats up STU, it can be done and would be an interesting swap...keep me posted ...Jim(y)

5. Hawkco

Hawkco Genuine Car Nut

Vehicle:
    77 Maverick
    I believe it is quite a major chore to put a 300 in a Maverick. There will be a lot more work involved than just changing engine mounts.

6. YellowStangDuan

YellowStangDuan Member

Vehicle:
    71 Grabber
    I think Clifford offered a kit a long time ago, but like it's stated, they are a lot longer, making it a radiator problem.

7. T.L.

T.L. Banned

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, V-8
    It can be and has been done but it's really not worth the trouble. It requires modification, and if you're gonna do that, you might as well go with a 351 Windsor...

8. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    70 mav, 71 grabber, 73 Comet, 2004 f-250 crew cab diesel, 2001 f-250, 2004 explorer, 2007 Gold Wing trike.
    if i remember right there was some talk a while back on here about someone doing that and the hood had to be modified as the engine stuck up higher also. it'd be different but the hp gain would probably be less, and more expensive, than swapping in a 302. :)

9. bartikus

bartikus Member

Vehicle:
    1973 comet, 1977 4 door mav(dead), 1964 falcon 4 door wagon, 1936 studebaker dictator
    this reminds me of my friend who has a 62 falcon he was going to put a 300 in his falcon so he got lots of ideas from the falcon web site i really don't remember what it is right now. but on thing they do is put in mustang II front suspention. you could also put the radiator on the other side of the radiator mounts to save space. the you could always use an electric fan. the falcons don't have a whole lot of room. but the greatest thing about a fuel injected 300 i6 is that you would have lots of low end torc. if you want any more info you could alway check out www.fordsix.com.

10. maverick75

maverick75 Gotta Love Mavs!

Vehicle:
    The mav is gone but i'm still here!
    my uncle has a 66 falcon and it has plenty of room:16suspect , did you mean a mav?:huh:

11. bartikus

bartikus Member

Vehicle:
    1973 comet, 1977 4 door mav(dead), 1964 falcon 4 door wagon, 1936 studebaker dictator
    no 62 falcons are small. the small block i6 barly fits in them. the fan is about an inch away from the radatior and it just bolts to the water pump. the 62 falcons only came with a 144 and a 170.

12. grbmaverickmo

grbmaverickmo That Maverick Guy

Vehicle:
    70 grabber.71 4dr v-8 stick.72 Sprint
    There is a maverick that bracket races at the local track with a 300 in it .It is pretty fast to. If I remember like low 10`s on motor and does a pretty good wheely too.

13. cdeal28078

cdeal28078 Member

Vehicle:
    71 F100
    Build that 300 for monster torque and put the right gears in it and I'd bet it would be pretty quick. I wonder if you used the torquey 300 with like a 3.0 gears and used the old 2 speed tranny would it be fast? Would the 300 have enough torque to use the gears to advantage? Just thinking out loud, sorry
    My dad was a trucker for 35 years and I took many trips with him as a kid. I still remember bobtailing one time and leaving a toll booth beside a camero. I was teasing dad about the truck being so slow and all. The Camaro was in the right lane which ended about 1000 ft ahead. We left the booths at the same time and dad said' "let me talk to you about torque" He started out in about 5th. The truck bucked a few times but then took off! He shifted into about 8th and rode that out then went to 10th while the camaro blows it's horn, flashes his brights at us and then slides in behind us.
    Clint