351 headers

Discussion in 'Drag Racing' started by Rocket!, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Rocket!

Rocket! Member

Vehicle:
    1971 maverick grabber
    where do you get headers for your mavericks with 351w in them I just got another maverick backhalfed with a 351w and one of the header tubes are smashed a little Do they have to be made up or do you buy them somewhere?

2. maverick75

maverick75 Gotta Love Mavs!

Vehicle:
    The mav is gone but i'm still here!
    Crites are the only ones that sell them. Use the search bar to find more threads on the subject.

3. mightymav72

mightymav72 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Ford Maverick with a 351 Windsor
    Tubular Automotive and Total Performance offer them also.

4. maverick75

Vehicle:
    How much are those? I always thought they only did cleaveland/boss headers. It's nice to see that there's more options :)

5. fordman57

fordman57 Member

Vehicle:
    71 Comet
    headers

Hooker makes a 351-w swap header for early mustangs that will work

6. FishnRace

FishnRace Jamie

Vehicle:
    '72 2dr 351
    Crite's header has 1 3/4" tubes.

I think the Tubular Performance piece has 1 1/2" tubes.

Don't know about the others.

7. maverick75

Vehicle:
    Theres a tech article on those, but you have to cut them up so much that your better off making a custom set. IMHO.

8. Fordmaster169

Fordmaster169 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1969 1/2 MavPro Street Project, 1972 F-100 stepside 4X4, 2015 F150 4X4, 2ea 2001 Ranger 4X4 extended cab step sides
    These are the ones I got to put on my 72 Grabber. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DOU-D669Y/ Mind you that I have done a strut conversion and cut my shock towers WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY back and I am running a rack steering system. When I get to the point of fitting the engine and trans I will post pics of the install. They look good as far as clearance goes the way they run along the engine on the engine stand but we will see. They stop just behind the bell housing on the engine so I don't have to worry about trans clearance. This is what they look like on the engine stand.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  9. fordman57

fordman57 Member

Vehicle:
    71 Comet
    header

why would need cut up the headers? 65-66 mustang is the same
    under the the only problem could be the clutch linkage.

10. M.A.V.

M.A.V. Yep,my real initials.

Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber Maverick,1966 Fairlane GT Pro Street
    No 65-66 Mustamgs are not the same engine bay as a Maverick.

11. maverick75

Vehicle:
    Actually no, the firewall is different. Which has A LOT to do with header clearence. I'll get the link right now.

12. olerodder

olerodder Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    I took my old headers to SPD in Rancho Cordova, CA a couple of weeks ago. They are going to replace one of the tubes that was kind of crushed when I took it off the trailer the last time, also going to take the standard collectors off and put some merge connectors on along with a reverse cones on the end of the short megaphone to try and get the torque curve down so I can make better use of my 4500 stall converter..........anyway, they did make jigs so I can replicate these or maybe next year make some changes............................don't know what the cost would be once the jib is finished..................but I can ask if you like. Here are some pictures of the passager side. My Maverick has had the spring towers chopped.
    These are a 4 piece header, and you can take them off the car in less than an hour........................my car is an automatic.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  13. olerodder

olerodder Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    Almost forgot, these headers were built by Bill Dawson in L.A. some years ago and are stepped headers, 1-3/4 to 1-7/8" design with 29" primary tubes. The 408 pulls strong from 3500 to limiter, and really continues to pull hard through the traps.

14. 747JetMech

747JetMech Member

Vehicle:
    I took a set into Sanderson, california. They ripped me off. Took advantage of me. Took my money and made no alterations. I was too embarrassed to go back to them and ask for my money back. They didn't cut or bend a tube out of the way. He spray painted it and charged me. CROOK.

15. olerodder

olerodder Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    A couple of years ago I called and talked with Sanderson about some headers for my Model A Coupe. The guy told me over the phone that I needed to trailer the car there, give them a week, and the headers would probably be around $1000. I laughed and the guy hung up.
    I made my own templates out of welding rod, went to SPD in Rancho Cordova, CA, they did mandrel bends on their CNC, tacked them together, I took them home and made two ajustments, tacked them back together and took them back. These guys have been racing and designing headers for some 30+ years...........they build systems for "NASCAR Cup Cars", and have raced their own designs at Boneville and know how to design headers for for making HP racing or street.......................anyway, these people know what they are talking about and do fantastic work. There are not very many real header manufactures still around and any time I want something built I'll go to SPD.
    They are doing some redesign of my original Bill Dawson headers to put the peak Tq/Hp curves a little lower so I can shoot for better 60' times and still maintain good top end power while not going over 6700rpm.
    Here is a picture of the headers I had SPD build. Even had them ceramic coated an still was $200 below the price Sanderson said it would cost, uncoated ofcourse................Oh, the quality was about 50% better also.

IMHO

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012