71 Comet GT

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by Pete21136, Feb 28, 2023.

1. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.

I do not know who owned the car when it was hit. Did I mention the car was hit hard?

2. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    Hard? Looks like nothing more than a shopping cart incident! :biglaugh: I don't know what kind of equipment Joe has to work with but I can't imagine getting that car back to square was easy. Also wonder if it is back to where it should be, no dig on Joe or his work but what hidden damage was missed?

Craig Selvey and mojo like this.
  3. Pete21136

Pete21136 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Comet
    I tried to join the Maverick Comet Restoration group on Sunday in order to access the other photos but apparently still haven't been approved. I also sent a friend request to Joe on facebook but have not heard back, maybe because he has no idea who I am. I generally always have difficulty with social media.

4. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    I believe his wife is either still in the hospital or just out of it. They've had a real rough spell, she is battling cancer and while in the hospital her sister died. After hearing that new his wife went into cardiac arrest then ICU. She did have a post today so they may be getting back on track.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2023
  5. jasonwthompson

jasonwthompson Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    G-D almighty that family needs some hardcore prayers.

6. Pete21136

Pete21136 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Comet

7. Pete21136

Pete21136 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Comet
    Definitely. Prayers to the family!

8. Jaybee

Jaybee Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick
    This one is all set up for someone to buy sight unseen over the internet without looking too close. Underneath the front it looks like there's oil coming from just about everyplace that's capable of leaking. Hard to tell what's underneath that pretty, fresh, Corporate Blue paint. It might have 239 miles on it since the bodywork was done, but you sure can't consider it restored.

I presume, based on the words of folks here for Joe, (who I don't know,) that he's an upstanding guy who did a job but didn't necessarily build the car. That's an important distinction. If someone took the easy way out by trying to sell a "restoration" with a used up dashpad and greasy, grimy, leaky front undercarriage it's entirely possible they didn't do everything necessary to make the car drive straight.

Best of luck to Joe and the extremely ill people who are important in his life.

9. Pete21136

Pete21136 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Comet

10. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    If I was interested in the car I would scrutinize it heavily in person. It I feels solid and drives well I wouldn't have too much concern owning. I would not pay anywhere near the asking price as there is still some risk that it may have hidden issues.

I would bet the dealer has no idea the cars history. With that I would keep all that in my back pocket until negotioation time then hit them low and show them why.

11. Pete21136

Pete21136 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Comet
    I agree totally. I also doubt that the current dealer knows any history. I wish that I knew when the car was repaired. It would help me in determining who owned the car at that time. It seems like it went to the right place to get fixed since Joe specializes in Mavericks and Comets. I can't access the additional photos because my membership is pending with the Maverick Comet restoration group. Since Joe is having so many personal problems , I totally understand the delay in membership approval. I am not so much concerned about the oil leak issues that have been pointed out because these are issues that I can easily take care of myself. I also wish that I could locate someone closer to the dealer than myself that could offer an opinion on the car before I invest in airfare and accommodations for my wife and I to make the trip. Since I live in Maryland the cost is quite pricey. By the way, it seems that that the car is there on consignment. Thanks for all of your input.

12. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
  13. Pete21136

Pete21136 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Comet
    thanks for showing this to me. I tried to contact him thru Facebook and I got part of a message written when I hit send by accident. Now he has blocked me from trying again. I would like to know if you could try for me and ask him to contact me. my facebook page is Sandra Robinson I am in Maryland. or call me at 410-702-3175 thank you

14. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    Sent a message, good luck!

15. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.

In buying ANYTHING on the internet, never assume it went "to the right place" or that it went to a place that "specializes". No matter what you buy or where you buy it from, the "internet" can make anything seem "real" or "legit". Just look at all the people that get scammed out their money everyday from "something they saw on the internet". Do your research. Listen to the experts offering advice on this. Look at the pictures that have been posted. There is a reason your gut is saying proceed with caution. Listen to it.

TeeEl and Shorty like this.